Are you looking to save money on your council tax?

The good news is that thousands of adults could be eligible for help towards their council tax. Whether you're on a low income or receiving benefits, you might be entitled.

Also whether you're eligible could depend on where you live too. But thousands of Brits can cut their council tax bill by £1,470 a year.

READ MORE: Join the Daily Star's WhatsApp for the sexiest headlines, showbiz gossip and lots more

You can read more lifestyle stories from Daily Star here.

If you're struggling to pay your bill, you might also be able to get a deferral or speak to your council about setting up a payment plan to manage the cost.

Photo of a man going through his financials problems
The help is for Brits on a low income

Those on low incomes and living in Leeds can get their council tax bills reduced by up to 75%. Some might even get their bill reduced to £0.

To be eligible, you'd need to be on a low income. The size of the discount you get depends on how much you earn with your salary.

There is a maximum discount of 75%, unless you qualify as a member of a protected group, for those residing in Leeds.

You may be eligible for Council Tax Support if you:

  • Live in the UK
  • Pay council tax
  • Are on a low income

If you have capital (savings, investments and property) over £16,000 you cannot claim council tax support unless you or your partner received the qualifying age for State Pension Credit and one of you gets Pension Credit.

Wallet full of UK money
Not everyone is entitled to receive 75% off

The maximum you'll get is 75% off your council tax bills. So for the average Band D property in Leeds, this totals to a £1468.792 saving.

It essentially means you'll pay £489.60 instead of the full Band D rate of £1,958.39. You can claim up to 100% discount on your council tax if you belong to a protected group.

Protected groups are:

  • Pensioners
  • Disabled people entitled to an enhanced or severe disability premium
  • Lone parents responsible for one or more dependent children under five, they must not have a partner living with them
  • Carers eligible for carer's allowance
  • War widows and war pensioners, who must be in receipt of a war widows pension, war disablement pension or armed forces compensation payment

Join the Daily Star's WhatsApp for the sexiest headlines, showbiz gossip and lots more

A man laughing at his phone, a sassy womanm the whatsapp logo and an alien in a suit.

The Daily Star is now on WhatsApp and we want you to join us!

Through the app, we'll send you the sassiest showbiz stories, some naught headline and a seismic smattering of aliens...along with the latest breaking news of course.

To join our community, all you have to do to join is click on this link, select 'Join Chat' and you're in!

No one will be able to see who has sign up and no one can send messages except for the Daily Star team. We also treat our community members to competitions, special offers, promotions, and adverts from us and our partners.

If you don’t like our community, you can check out any time you like. To leave our community click on the name at the top of your screen and choose Exit group. If you’re curious, you can read our Privacy Notice.


You will need to apply for the support on the Leeds Council website. If you need help, you can contact the council on 0113 222 4404.

To complete the form, you'll need your National Insurance number, bank statements, a recent payslip or letter from the Jobcentre, and a passport or driving licence.

Each council runs its own tax support scheme. It's worth checking the GOV.UK website to see if you can apply for similar help.

Want all the biggest Lifestyle news straight to your inbox? Sign up for our free Daily Star Hot Topics newsletter